Alloy 22 Plates for Centrifuges
Bespoke centrifuges are commonly used in the pharmaceutical and bio-synthetic industry. NeoNickel supplied alloy 22 water-jet cut pieces, full plates, pipes and pipe fittings to a key centrifuge manufacturer in Germany. The material was used to fabricate bespoke centrifuges for the pharmaceutical synthesis process which required a specifically large filtration area.
Alloy 22 is a fully austenitic, nickel-chromium-molybdenum-tungsten alloy with excellent corrosion resistance. The high chromium content provides good resistance to oxidizing conditions while the molybdenum and tungsten give good resistance to reducing media. Moreover, alloy 22 provides exceptional resistance to pitting, crevice corrosion, general corrosion and stress corrosion cracking.
In many cases, alloy 22 is specified as the construction material for multipurpose processing equipment in the pharmaceutical, biosynthetic and agrichemical markets. Alloy 22 replaces conventional materials of construction such as glass, glass-lined, fluoroshield-lined or stainless equipment as it eliminates the need for dedicated process plants. This is because alloy 22 has outstanding corrosion resistance to a wide variety of chemicals including oxidizing acid chlorides, wet chlorine, formic acids, acetic acids, ferric chlorides, cupric chlorides, sea water, brine and other mixed or contaminated chemical solutions (both organic and inorganic). Moreover, alloy 22 resists the formation of grain boundary precipitates in the weld heat affected zone, making the alloy suitable for most chemical process applications in the ‘as-welded’ condition.
Alloy 22 has been selected as the alloy of choice in the pharmaceutical market for multi-purpose process equipment over conventional materials based on the following:
- Design of multi-purpose plants to service the manufacture of multiple products rather than a single process plant dedicated to the manufacture one product.
- Reduced contamination of the end product resulting from leaching of metallic products from less corrosion resistant materials.
- Design of thinner wall vessels leading to improved thermal transfer and higher production yields.
- Reduced down time and elimination of expensive repairs to glass lined or fluoroshield lined vessels with Tantalum patches.
- Used in the manufacture of both chlorinated and fluorinated products where fluorine will attack conventional glass or glass lined equipment.
Contact NeoNickel for your value added processing requirements, cut parts (waterjet and laser), materials selection, quality controlled, and metallurgical consulting service backed products.